Mount Kilimanjaro Day Hike - Marangu
Tanzania is home to the highest mountain in Africa – Mount Kilimanjaro, at 5,985m. A typical climb to the summit can take around a week, but if you just want a brief flavour of the mountain, it’s possible to do a one day excursion there, with some hiking. If you want just a taste of what Mount Kilimanjaro has to offer, we can cater to you too. Starting from your hotel after breakfast, our driver will take you to Marangu Gate for a day hike.
From your accommodation in Arusha, depart with your guide after an early breakfast and drive to Kilimanjaro National Park. Depending on the location of your hotel, the drive may be 1.5-2.5 hours.
- When to visit?: All year round
- Tour duration: 1 day (approximately 8 hours)
- Start: Tour start from Arusha/Moshi
- End: Arusha/Moshi
- Destination visited: Mount Kilimanjaro – Marangu route
- Accommodation: Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour can be arranged
- Maximum size of group: Private group
- A transfer from and back to the airport/hotel is included.
- We can help select your international flights and also book for you.
- Fly to/from Kilimanjaro Airport (JRO ) near Arusha. Or fly to/from Arusha Airport (ARK) via Dar es Salaam or Nairobi (Kenya)
- Kilimanjaro Marangu day hike involves going up to the first camp Mandara hut (2720m) and come back via the same route on the same day.
- Marangu gate is 1879m above sea level and the distance to Mandara hut is 8km (16 km round trip), which will take 3 to 4 hours for each direction.
- On the way to from the Marangu gate to Mandara hut you will cross the rain forest which is a dense forest, pure green with a lot of species of plants. If you are lucky you can see Blue Monkeys and a black and white Colobus Monkeys.
- It just takes 15 minutes walk from Mandara to Maundi Crater. This place offers a good view of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks and also good view of the Kenyan side ad lake Chala and Jipe. During eruption the pressure was not enough to force magma to get out hence instead of rise up it formed a crater.
Day to day itinerary
Mount Kilimanjaro Day Trip Details
- Transport to/from gate
- Park fees
- Professional English speaking mountain guide
- Lunch box
- 1,5l bottle of water
- Personal items
- Gratuities for mountain guide
- Travel insurance
Dates and Rates per person (in USD)
|Start dates||Single||2 people||3 people||4 people||5 people||6 people||7+ people|
|Jan 1, 2021 – Dec 31, 2021||284||184||157||143||136||129||Get Quote|
|Jan 1, 2022 – Dec 31, 2022||284||184||157||143||136||129||Get Quote|
Our rates are per person sharing unless we note differently. Please treat all pricing as a guide only:
- All rates are subject to availability and may change without notice.
- All prices and fares are quoted in U.S. dollars.
- Prices are per person based on double or single occupancy (unless otherwise noted) and do not include international airfare to/from your destination or internal flights during the expedition.
- Request a quote or speak to one of our African Safari Experts for the best, most current rates available.
- See the terms and conditions for this trip for more information.
UPDATED BOOKING POLICY
To provide you more flexibility, we have modified our booking policies. Through January 1, 2021, guests can book this itinerary with fully refundable deposits up until 90 days prior to departure. Learn More
HELPING KEEP YOU SAFE
Our health and safety protocols will consider the latest guidance and recommendations of the United Republic of Tanzania, Centers for Disease Control, international and local health agencies, and destination partners. Learn More